Mega Atrium adventure

>> Friday, January 30

I'd like to try the new restaurants and cafes at the Atrium -- megamall's recently completed extension (like the mall wasn't big enough already!) and so far, the only fresh Atrium restos I've checked out are Pizza Hut Bistro and Bigby's. Since Pizza Hut is already a "too familiar" dining experience for most, if not all of us, then today's spotlight shines on Bigby's...

There's a homey feel about this restaurant's interiors... it's somewhat reminiscent of T.G.I.Friday's, Chili's and the like, only smaller. There are framed curios on the walls (from the owners' past leisure and academic travels, I was told),


cool ceiling lamps lined with magazine pages, and several other whatnots that are interesting to look at while waiting for the food to arrive. But then again, it's typical of similar eateries (in the US, Australia, etc..) to display conversation pieces all over to somewhat encourage customers to probe deeper into the history of the place. And probe, I did.

The owner of the establishment-- a kind and surprisingly young Filipino-Chinese entrepreneur gamely chatted with me to find out what I thought of their restaurant, food and ambiance. I found out then that Bigby's first branch is in Cagayan de Oro. They have seven branches so far (if I remember correctly) and they're located mostly in Mindanao.

The branch at the megamall is their first Manila store. It's called Bigby's because they serve big portions good for sharing. OK, on to the food:

  • I thought the entrees were a little on the expensive side but when he mentioned that their portions are actually for sharing then the prices didn't seem so bad.

  • Profiling Bigby's regulars: Just like TGIFriday's, it is pretty much a dining place for the career crowds, as well as high-budgeted romantic and family affairs. A group of what looked like senior office managers were dining there when I arrived. They seemed well-acquainted with the menu.

  • I tried the battered cream dory fillets with lettuce rolled in a round flour tortilla, sided with crunchy nachos, lightly seasoned greens and...was that tartar sauce? I am unsure but it was okay. The fish was good. i suggested they serve whole wheat flour tortillas for those against white flour. The owner agreed to take that suggestion into consideration. My meal cost me Php195 for the sandwich alone, even if that particular fish wrap wasn't meant to be shared as the fish portion was kinda small. So I guess I was right the first time, ya? Their food may well be a tad too pricey.













Having said that, I still look forward to returning there with the hubby. Hopefully, Bigby's will finally be serving whole wheat tortillas and brown or red rice by then. Now that would be a hallelujah day for me at that over-sized megamall. Shopping there is, after all, a cardio workout in itself.

Free Hit Counter
Visitors

Blogupp - Connect Smart

BlogCatalog

Poetry Blog Directory ____________________________________________ Total Blog Directory

  © Blogger template Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP